Saturday, January 7, 2017

Defining My Dash in 52 Stories



This blog is my effort to take on the challenge from LDS Family Search's #52Stories Project, Define Your Dash.  The dash refers to the space between birth and death, such as one might see between dates on a grave marker. Years and years from now, my marker might read something like this:

Megan
Devoted Wife, Mother, Friend
1966 - 2076

The dates can tell you some things about me. For example, thirteen LDS temples were standing the year I was born. The newest one was in Oakland, California, just across the bay from the liberal mecca of San Francisco. There was high political unrest in the US in 1966-- civil rights demonstrations, war protests, stirrings for expanded women's roles in society. The Black Panthers and the National Organization for Women were both founded the year I was born. 

However, the dates don't tell you that I was born in that hotspot San Francisco to a mother who travelled there from Alaska to give birth, because she wanted me to thrive in a liberal political climate. The dates don't tell you that I did not get much instruction in liberal politics because Idahoan Mormons adopted and raised me, or that 
Priesthood Power sealed me to those adoptive parents in that shiny LDS Temple in Oakland. A grave marker won't reveal my own life experiences with rights, war, and gender.

And so, I am writing about my dash. This serves two main purposes. The first is to leave a legacy for others and the second is for me to know myself better. The article at this link lays out the argument very well, so I won't elaborate here.  Using a blog rather than a personal journal makes me more accountable, so I'm blogging this. I want to succeed.


The Family Search #52stories Project was kind enough to include writing prompts for each week of the challenge. I plan to mostly use them. If there is a topic that I cannot or will not write about, I'll pick something else that week, but it's still an opportunity to probe sensitivities and explore fears personally. Even prompt #1 was hard to write, but I did it. Here it is:

Prompt #1: What do you hope to achieve this year? (responses are in no particular order)

1.  Write 52 stories about my life. The general plan is one per week, but if I am late one week I'll do two the next week. If you make a goal too rigid you will more easily get discouraged.  Always set goals that make you accountable, but also let you be self-forgiving. Keep moving forward. 

2. I hope to travel out to California and Oregon in the spring. Fly into Oakland. Visit the temple there. Spend a few days visiting with childhood friends in the North Bay and family in Portland. Drive to the giant redwoods, check out a small plot that I inherited. Some would say the property is nearly worthless. You can't build on it without first securing water rights at a high cost. However, maybe someday I'll bring water to the forest and build a retirement home there.

3. Do my best in my church calling. I currently help support children's Sunday instruction and programs for 12 LDS church units throughout Central Illinois. Helping children come to know our Savior, and commit to choosing right is vital to the future of the world. Inspired teachers and leaders are needed.

4. Continue my exercise routine of cardio and strength training. Running is probably the most humbling thing I do on a weekly basis. I am not good at it, but have been blessed for trying. I cannot go fast nor far, but I always feel better after the attempt. It has been my remedy for sorrow and physical pain. I'll do another 5 mile mud obstacle course in 2016. I did Mudderella the last three years, but it isn't coming back this year so I'll find another.

5. Learn more about laughter. In 2014 I focused on Gratitude. 2015 was Forgiveness, and 2016 was Faith. I feel drawn to deepen my understanding of laughter this year. I think I'll watch more comedies and less action flicks for starters. Seems counterintuitive to read a book about it, because academics don't seem funny to me. But I'll find something to broaden my perspective. I probably will read a book. I will also do a scripture canvas and document humor in the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Elijah showed a sense of humor when he taunted the Priests of Baal. Did Peter show his sense of humor? Or Alma? God has a sense of humor, this I know.

6. De-clutter my closet and my attic.

That's it for this week.

I believe the original concept of The Dash came from the poem by Linda Ellis. It is copyrighted, so I will not provide a transcript here, but here is a clip of the author reading it. You will find it inspiring:


No comments:

Post a Comment